Hurricane Florence is being called a “monster storm” which is predicted to bring flooding, high winds, downed trees and power outages to North Carolina. Prevent a trip to the emergency room with these Five Storm Safety Tips from the doctors at Raleigh Foot & Ankle Center.
1. Make sure you have clear paths in your home in case of a power outage. High winds often trigger lengthy power outages. According to Dr. Alyssa Carroll, “Eliminate the chance of trips and falls in the dark by creating clear pathways in your home before the storm arrives.”
2. Always wear shoes indoors. “The most common home injuries we treat are centered around being barefoot, so always wear shoes,” said Dr. Jordan Meyers. “If you have an aversion to wearing shoes inside for cleanliness reasons, get an indoor house shoe or slipper.”
3. Put aside stylish shoes and wear sturdy footwear. One of the best ways to prevent a trip to the ER during inclement weather is to make sure your feet and ankles are properly protected. Ditch the cute flip flops. Dr. Carroll advised, “When you’re outside on slippery surfaces such as decks and asphalt, make sure you are wearing sturdy shoes with good tread.”
4. Keep a first aid kit and emergency phone numbers handy. “You never know what you may encounter with the threat of high winds, flooding and power outages, said Dr. Alan Boehm. “Have a first aid kit accessible, and remember you can always call 911 for emergencies, even during power outages.”
5. Make sure your kids are protecting their feet. Dr. Kirk Woelffer recommended, “Don’t forget about the children– protected feet are happy feet.”
Raleigh Foot & Ankle Center offers foot and ankle care for all ages with the latest advances in technology to get you back on your feet quickly. Surgeons Dr. Kirk Woelffer, Dr. Alan Boehm, Dr. Jordan Meyers, and Dr. Alyssa Carroll bring over 35 years of trusted medical experience to compassionately care for all your foot and ankle needs in two Triangle locations, with a new Holly Springs satellite office opening in November. For more information call (919) 850-9111 or visit www.RaleighFootAndAnkleCenter.com. Raleigh Foot & Ankle Center is a division of Foot & Ankle Specialists of the Mid-Atlantic, LLC